Pages

Sunday 31 July 2011

Nigel Barker talks Kendall Jenner.

Credit: www.wetpaint.com
America's Next Top Model judge Nigel Barker has been critiquing photogenic PYTs for 15 seasons. We asked the noted fashion photographer about what he thought of Kendall's modeling career. The 'ANTM' judge had nothing but praise for the 15 year old model.

On Kendall Jenner as a model:
She’s obviously striking. The most important thing I see when I look at her pictures is her eye contact. She’s got really great contact with her eyes to the lens, to the viewer, and pulls you in. It’s one of the hardest things to get with a new model because often times models will do the pose and get the body language right, and I do feel there’s areas there she can learn as far as getting her technique down, but, the one thing that’s hardest to learn is eye contact. We go on and on about smizing, but essentially the reason we talk about it on Top Model so much is because that is really the heart and soul of a picture. You can have the facade, but if you don’t have that spark, then you don’t have anything. That’s the thing I immediately noticed when looking at the pictures of her. I don’t look at what she’s wearing initially. I go straight to her eyes. Her eyes are just electric. It’s like “WOW!” I can see her thoughts, I can see what she’s thinking. It’s exciting. I think that’s the most important thing. I would shoot her in a heartbeat — in fact, what’s her number?

Would she be more commercial or high fashion?
It isn’t necessarily one or the other. I believe she’s definitely an advertising model. Yes, she could be in editorial spreads. I think, actually, with her bone structure and the dark hair against that sort of flaxen white skin, beautiful contrasts, thick, beautiful rosy lips that she has, and the diminutive nose, she’s got all the structure to be a fashion model. For me, it’s the strikingness of the eyes that’s going to pull you and actually sell stuff. Now, ultimately, you become an editorial model or high fashion model in order to be a commercial model. It’s not one or the other. Truly the most successful commercial models are that successful because they can do both. Someone like her, there’s a sort of star quality in the eyes. Is there room for improvement? For sure. I’m not really blown away by the moves, the poses, or the body language, but I have confidence in the simplicity of what she’s doing that she’s already pulling me in. Sometimes less is more. That’s one of the reasons I’d like to get her into my studio — to do something raw and simple with her and really focus on her natural talents and natural ability, which is really her eyes, her story, her narrative, and get something that really wants you to see more.

On if her famous family will help or hinder her modeling career:
It will help. Actually, if you look at almost all the biggest models, even out of England and everywhere else, and even celebrities too, if you look at their history, even if they seem like they just came out of nowhere, it turns out that their mother was a model or father was a photographer, director, producer, or had something to do with some part of the business. There are very few brand new, discovered, never before heard of people out there.

No comments: